Monday, July 23, 2012

Unnecessary Ingredients in Pancakes...Try these Instead!

So I went to the grocery store this morning for a few things and while I was in there I thought I should get some pancake mix. (Easier, Faster, Gooder) Well I learned later that none of those 3 qualities were true!  As I looked at which Pancake mix to get, I noticed all of them said that you just add water.  And then I thought, well that can't be good if you just add water to a bunch of dry floured ingredients.  So i started looking at the ingredients and I couldn't believe the types of ingredients in a simple Pancake mix, (even though I wasn't surprised either).  The following is taken from a certain company and is pretty much a general list for most mixes:

INGREDIENTS: ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SUGAR, LEAVENING (SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), DEXTROSE, DRIED BUTTERMILK, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, WHEAT GLUTEN, DEFATTED SOY FLOUR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, NONFAT DRY MILK, SOY LECITHIN, SODIUM CASEINATE, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOYBEAN OIL, LACTIC ACID. 



Can someone tell me why there are at least 25 ingredients in this pancake mix, which most of them are not even needed and very unhealthy for you?  It blows my mind what the food industry is putting in our food. And if the average consumer does not look at the list, they end up eating it and it goes to work destroying their bodies.  Why does corn syrup solids need to be in there? Soybean oil? Soy lecithin?  If you haven't figured this out yet, there is corn and soy in just about all our foods sold at the grocery store and it is very harmful to our bodies in the quantities that are taken in. Why do you think America is so overweight and Obese?

Ok, so I obviously decided to not buy pancake mix and just make my own. Like I said, I soon learned that my pancakes would be easier, faster, and gooder than the mixes I saw. (yes I know gooder is not a word! how bout yummier?!)

So heres the recipe I used. It was very easy. I just threw the ingredients into the mixer while the skillet was getting hot with coconut oil. This took all of 3 minutes and then I added freshly picked blueberries to the mix. (local blueberry farm)  This recipe made five 6 inch diameter pancakes.  And they were very delicious especially since I used my parents REAL maple syrup from our own trees, to top them with.

So definitely go this way instead of putting all of the above list into your body. First thing to do is, perform 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 50 bodyweight squats. Drink 8 oz of water. Ok now cook....

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 Cup Flour
2 tsp Xylitol
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 egg
1 Cup Buttermilk
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Mix the egg, buttermilk first. Then add the dry ingredients. Then add the butter and vanilla.  Add blueberries, cut strawberrries, peaches or bananas.  Top with "Real" Maple Syrup (Not High Fructose Corn Syrup maple flavored syrup)

Enjoy!


Rest 30 minutes after eating, perform 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 50 bodyweight squats!

Get better everyday!

I'll see you later!


TheRykerDane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a Comment!